Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Why does it feel wrong to keep secrets?

Seriously, why does it feel wrong to keep secrets?

I'm not talking about hiding the fact that you're sleeping with someone you shouldn't be, nor the ubiquitous stealing office supplies from your company, or other silly stuff that's more hurtful or dishonest, but feeling bad about keeping something that's private, private.

It's always one of those things that when it comes out it's really not that big of a deal, yet the reaction to it is like you knew who killed JFK, who really did it, but said nothing to anyone. Maybe it was embarrassing, maybe it was deeply personal, maybe you were protecting someone from bad thoughts or wishes of others, or maybe you just felt it wasn't anyone's business, yet you're made to feel bad, feel guilty, for keeping it a secret.

Why?

If it is truly innocent, truly not hurting anyone that it is not known, why should we feel guilty about keeping the secret?

Is there some odd part of human civilization, at least in modern time, that gives folk the impression that they have the right to know everything about a person, every little secret and if a secret is kept that somehow, some way, the person keeping the secret means people ill? I just don't get it.

I'm not an idiot, I think I'm a fairly good judge of people, character, and hold a fair bit of understanding of how the human beast works, yet that one thing slips through my fingers each and every time. I'm not talking about the government keeping secrets from the governed, nor am I talking about cheating spouse or significant other, I'm just talking about the concept of personal privacy and whether or not we're allowed it, anymore.

I'm of the view that privacy does exist and that you do not owe everyone a synopsis on every aspect of your life, regardless of what it is, since we've a right to privacy. Maybe I'm just mopey, or down right now, so my brain is rattling off on some weird tangential though, but it is called Emerson's Rambling Nights, so I guess it's fitting.

Anyhow, who knows if anyone is even out there, reading this, and seeing what I'm saying. Maybe I'm just shouting into the storm that is the Internet and the yelling is cathartic enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment