Friday, November 14, 2008

Small towns are nice...

...and it has taken me quite a few years to remember this fact, but as they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder.

It was the mid-90s when I moved away from Klamath Falls, Oregon, when I followed my heart outward, up to the Portland Metro area before taking a quick sidestep to Boise, Idaho, so I've been gone from Klamath Falls for roughly twelve years. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't regret leaving, nor why I left, not even when I did while I was gone, but a big part of me is realizing that some of it could have been done without leaving Klamath Falls.

There is no real part of the country, just as there is not fake part of the country, everyone is different in the United States and it shows, be it by region or by city. Sometimes you just find a feel that fits and, for me, it is often the small college towns that I feel more at home, as opposed to the dense urban sprawl. It has a feel that is comfortable and almost stressless for me, although I do miss the stadium theaters, dense population of game stores, and other creature comforts, but the stressless life is not too bad.

Klamath Falls is in a really nice part of Oregon, as there are lots of forests, rivers, lakes, mountains, and historical and natural sites, like Crater Lake. Sure, it's about as far from Portland as you can get, while still being in Oregon, but the Rogue Valley is nearby and a trip to Portland can be pretty quick and easy, if you plan it right. Plus, generally, the people are okay too, even if you don't agree with them. I'm, pretty much, a rabid moderate when it comes to politics, thus the far left and right just tick me off, a lot, but even here in Klamath, I'm chill on that, too.

Maybe it's just the right time for me to be here, but I think, seriously, that it's more of a matter of people knowing when they've found the right zone for them to be in and I'm sure I'd get this feeling in the right big town, like Seattle, but I'm glad to be home in Oregon, the weather is nice, as is the wildlife, so it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment