Sunday, November 30, 2008

Everyones gotta be right...

While I am not free of this little fact, I am aware of it and do my best to avoid it, but why do people always gotta be right about something? Why do we always try to keep on point, even if it is not important? What is it about a conversation that has a statement, counter-statement, clarification and restatement, then firmer reasoning statement, and so forth and so on?

I get discourse, I get commiserating, I get debate, discussion, and so forth, but why is it so rare, so hard, for people to just talk about something? Is conversing for the sake of conversing, or expanding thought, so out of place today? Does everything have to be about being right or wrong, of turning someone to your line of thought, or away from it? What is it about polarization of conversation that is so previlant today?

I remember, when I was younger, that the purpose of debate was about fully examining a topic, of seeing it from multiple sides and viewpoints, however, like many things, it became more about the competition than the discussion. Again, it was more about winners and losers, not thoughts and discourse.

Perhaps it is blind idealism, or thinking complexity into a simple situation, but it would be nice, I think, to just be able to blather on about something, examining all its facets, without a worry about winning and losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment