Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I hate Jack Shephard...

...seriously.

I've hated Jack, pretty much, since the first episode of Lost for reason that are more guttural than cerebral and I still hate him. I enjoy the actor, Matthew Fox, in previous works, but the character of Dr. Jack Shephard is someone that I don't like, almost without question.

While Jack might have some strong points, I just don't like the guy and I feel he's an ass that irks me more often than naught. If Lost were D&D then Jack Shephard would be a Paladin, but instead of using a realistic version of Lawful Good he'd be using the stereotypical model of Lawful Stupid. You know the type who is judgmental beyond reason, causing interparty strife, because they're not getting their way, and are generally annoying jerkwards.

That's Jack Shephard and I wish the black smoke would give him a colonoscopy, without any warning, lubrication, or spooning.

Maybe it's that I like Sawyer and Jack is a pain in the butt to him, maybe it's because I like Kate and feel that Jack belittles her a lot, maybe it's because I like Kate and Sawyer together, but I really hate Jack. Jack listens to folks until the folks have a different opinion of him, then suddenly they're persona non gratis and he downs them and fights them tooth and nail.

Sure, that might be admirable, except that Jack is wrong so much of the time that someone should just slap the crap out of him, tell him that he should only worry about being a doctor and that's it. Hell, maybe they should have killed him off, first episode, like they said they were gonna do....damn writers, the one time they have an idea I like, they don't do it.

So, in closing, frak jack, jack sucks.

Pax.

12 comments:

  1. I have to agree. The guy is supposedly a leader that some people look up to, but he makes bad decisions half the time, with no input from anyone else. He usually keeps everyone in the dark about his plans, but the minute someone didn't tell him something they did, he gets indignant with a, "When were you going to tell ME about it?" It isn't that he's a terrible character, but it's evident that the creators wanted him to be THE male lead, and he's a terrible LEAD character. As far as my wife and I are concerned, he could just be the doctor with a minimum number of flashbacks to his boring life (I think about 3 would have sufficed), and quit trying to be a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack is the self-righteous type, yet as we've seen he's not been a righteous person, much the opposite. I think Jack's addiction, as opposed to being a drunk like his father, is that he enjoy being the martyr and "thrust upon" leader.

    It's silly, I think, but Jack likes being put into the position of being in-charge, even though he says that he doesn't wanna be in-charge. If you look back on it, Jack was one of Locke's earliest mistakes, as Locke convinced Jack to be the leader. *laughs*

    Sawyer, as Han Solo did, has had a consistent arc of improvement and development, growing into a better person, while Jack has the Luke arc, including being a whiny pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. almost a year has passed...What are your thoughts of Jackass breaking the lighthouse mirrors?
    I want him to die!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, I have also hated Jackass from day 1. He is the height of arrogance and stupidity. I flies off the handle and does stupid things. Seriously, what is smashing the mirrors going to accomplish? What an idiot. Sawyer and even John (the real one) are much better leaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I started disliking him in episode three. Now re-watching the series and halfway through season two I loathe him. What a jackass! When the show first came out I too thought maybe I disliked him because I adore Sawyer, and love Kate and Sawyer together, but no...he is just a sanctimonious jerk. He is actually the only character that I do not like.

      Delete
  5. I am just now catching up on Lost, so am just seeing the lighthouse episode. I am filled with so much loathing over this character MOST of the time, I just had to see who out there was writing about the same. His impulsive, "damn the consequences" behavior is what has lead to the deaths of so many of the other characters -- what would in fact happen with such a leader. In the last season, when he and Kate ruined the three quiet years that Sawyer and Juliet had at the Dharma Initiative, I could have just screamed every time he walked on screen. Seriously, what a horrible character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, people hate Jack Shephard because he is a leader that is seriously flawed. Never mind that most of the other characters are equally flawed and annoying, Jack has failed to live up to some idea that he has to be closer to perfection than the others, due to his status as a leader.

    Humanity never changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am re-watching Lost on Netflix and I may actually hate him more this time around..... His character sucks and sucks hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of Lost's biggest mistakes was making Jack such a central part of the show and casting far better characters, namely Locke, to the side. Jack should have died half way through, not Locke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found Locke to be just as irritating as Jack, Sawyer, Kate and the show's other characters. His irritating traits were simply different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jack was an idiot. Maybe it's because I love Sawyer but Jack is irritating, I hate how he expects everyone to just agree with him for example when he got to 1977 he expected Sawyer and everyonelse to just agree and follow everything he said. He may have gotten everyone off the island but he didn't do that without getting almost half the castaways killed. I don't like him and Kate and I think that Juliet and Sawyer would have been much more interesting instead of being put backburner in favour of being second fiddle to Kate and Jack.

    ReplyDelete